Transana is a software package used to analyze digital video or audio data. Transana used to be a GPL licensed software, but has become proprietary software in recent releases.
Transana lets the user analyze and manage your data, transcribe it, identify analytically interesting clips, assign keywords to clips, arrange and rearrange clips, create complex collections of interrelated clips, explore relationships between applied keywords, and share your analysis with colleagues. The goal is to find a new way to focus on the data, and manage large collections of video and audio files and clips.
Transana is a product of the Digital Insight Project, and it is being developed with funding from the National Science Foundation through the National Partnership for Computational Infrastructure at the San Diego Supercomputer Center and the TalkBank Project at Carnegie Mellon University.
- ^ Previously, I led a web development team at the University of Wisconsin-Madison’s Center for Education Research (WCER) that created lots of academic and research-focused sites using a variety web application technologies (including a bit of Drupal). Before donating the code to UW-Madison for further development, I designed and developed an open source video analysis application called Transana., Chris Fassnacht, Drupalcon Boston 2008
- ^ Transana was originally created by Chris Fassnacht., About Transana
- ^ Il software per l’analisi qualitativa TRANSANA, Fabio Malfatti, Centro Ricerche EtnoAntropologiche, Siena, 02/06/2007 (Translated visa Google)
- ^ David Woods Archived 2012-05-04 at the Wayback Machine, Staff Members, WCER
- ^ (languse) A New Tool for Transcription and Analysis Archived 2012-04-25 at the Wayback Machine, Chris Fassnacht, 11 Apr 2002, I and a colleague, David Woods, have been developing a program to assist in the transcription and analysis of video data.
- ^ Jump up to:a b “Release Notes”. Transana. Retrieved 2018-06-18.
- ^ “Transana Internationalization – Translations”. Transana.org. Retrieved 2013-03-14.
- ^ Paul ten Have. “transana”. Paultenhave.nl. Retrieved 2013-03-14.
- ^ Transana’s Main screen, Digital Insight Project
- ^ Ubuntu and the Humanities, December 28th, 2009, David Woods, Hi, I’m the author of Transana, and can comment on that. We started charging because the grant funding that allowed us to do the initial development and distribution of Transana for free ended several years ago. Our funders were interested in helping us get started, but the program is mature enough now that they’re no longer willing to fund our ongoing work., Ubuntu Forums
- ^ Digital Insight: A Prototype Digital Media Research System Archived 2012-05-28 at the Wayback Machine, Status: Completed Jan 31 2005, Leadership: Chris Thorn, Staff: David Woods, Projects, WCER
- Transana Review (Linguistic Annotation Wiki)
- “Choosing a CAQDAS Package” (Lewins & Silver 2006 working paper, pdf) (review of Transana 2, among others)
- “Transana 2.40: Distinguishing features and functions” (Lewins & Silver December 2009, pdf)
- Dempster, P. & Woods, D. (2011). The Economic Crisis Through the Eyes of Transana. Forum Qualitative Sozialforschung / Forum: Qualitative Social Research, 12, 1
- Woods, D. & Dempster, P. (2011). Tales from the Bleeding Edge: The Qualitative Analysis of Complex Video Data Using Transana. Forum Qualitative Sozialforschung / Forum: Qualitative Social Research, 12, 1